Sunday 20 April 2008

Gin is spelt with a G, not a J... erm Maddy Gel is also spelt with a G....

I am now a full time apple picker! Its nice to be in the great New Zealand outdoors but it is quite boring and I am eternally grateful to my ipod. The annoying think about apple picking is that you have to concentrate to a certain level so that you don't slip off the ladder, pick a bad or unripe apple etc but it's not a level of thinking which keeps you entertained and you can't really think about anything during the bad apple thinking. My boss has already told me to pick them more carefully because there were little finger print bruises all over loads of mine. So if your in Asda in about 7 weeks and you see NZ 'pink lady' apples, they will be from my orchard and if you see ones with funny bruises on them then I probably picked them!


On the Orchard we have a Brazilian who likes to sing all day which is really entertaining and a Cheque (or is it Check) who askes me really funny questions, the English are a bit of an alien race here (Hastings) so I get many strange questions such as:

"Is it true you put vinegar on your chips? Oh my god that is DISGUSTING!"

"Is it true you put eggs in hot water (poached) you are crazeee"

"Whats better, English McDoanalds or NZ?" to which I replied "Well I havn't eaten McDonalds out here so I wouldn't know" ...."Whaaaaat? What DO you eat?"

"So what did you parents say when you said you were coming out here on your own? They must have been really mad?"
I think he must have thought I had really awful parents for letting their vulnerable DAUGHTER out of their sight, he really couldn't understand that I was perfectly ok, he seems to think NZ is really dangerous.
The low point of the week was getting thrashed at ENGLISH scrabble by two Germans and a Dutch guy, about 10 times. JESUS! And I have a horrible feeling the Argentinians are on the case tonight.

No comments: