Wednesday 26 March 2008

Kia ora!

On Wednesday night we went to a Maori culture night, this included the bus to the Maori village, an introduction ceremony, a look round their village, a haka and singing. This was the highlight, the dancing was really intimidating and the singing was amazing too. We had a huge, delicious, Maori feast where we could eat as much as possible (for the travelers anyway)
The traditional way of cooking food is underground on volcanic rocks with earth covering it. Also a goodbye ceremony, and even the bus home was entertaining. We had to sing lots of songs including 'the wheels on the bus' where one of the choruses was "the driver of the bus has no li-cence" we also had to pretent to be rownig the waka (maori canoe) the whole evening was really good!
We went for a drink at the hostel bar when we got back where I got ID'd, Iv never got pissed off about being ID'd before but when you have traveled half way round the world by yourself buying a corona seems kind of out of perspective.

Had a dip in the boiling Rotorua hot baths which was nice and relaxing, I couldn't handle the 42 degree one for long though.

I am now in Aukland, when we arrived the bus driver was telling us what was on offer, his first tip was "the best thing to do when you get to Aukland, is to leave Aukland".
I decided I would make my own mind up but I think I have to agree with him.
My Northern trip seems to be going far too quickly so I decided to book a bus trip up to The Bay of Islands for a few days. This is seperate to my Kiwi Experiance one.
Went out clubbing with a few people from my hostel last night, the night life is better than the day life.
xxx

No comments: