Tuesday 3 June 2008

On the road again

On Friday me and Briony and Rachel got the ferry to the south island (where we saw dolphins and a whale on the way) we spent a lovely few days on Susie and Kev's farm. We did lots of farmy things such as milk goats, go to the market, eat goats, herd sheep, watch make goats cheese, bread and eat lots of yummy homegrown, organic vegetables. I miss having someone tell me what was from the garden as I ate my dinner, although it was more like what wasn't from the garden.

We decided the cheapest and easiest way to get round the south island is by renting a car so we have our very own (for 3 weeks) Mitsubishi lancer, which has electric windows and power steering....so posh. Unfortuently i'm the sole driver but Briony does a very good job of feeding me cashews and pointing out the way.
The roads are so easy here, you barely see anyone and if you pass a farmer he's so excited he does a little jiggle on the spot and gives you a cheery wave, us english were very confused and just thought he was crazy until others did the same.

So on monday we drove over the windy mountains to Takaka where we visited Farewell Spit, which is a big sand dune, like a desert where we got lost. I paniced a bit as I just couldn't see how we could get out without walking for days and dieing of thirst, every point in the distance seemed to take hours to walk to and over every hill was just more sand. Anyway we made it and even had time for Pupu springs on the way home.

The scenery driving around is amazing!
We're now back in Motueka ready to do the Abel Tasman National park tomorrow.

Brionys photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26367616@N07/ if you want to see more of my ugly mug.

No comments: